Category Archives: News Article

Police officer rapes woman for 5 hours, woman returns home only to find 3-month old baby dead

(report from The Star) http://www.the-star.co.ke/news/police-officer-rapes-woman-5-hours-woman-returns-home-only-find-3-month-old-baby-dead#sthash.pPXqRF6R.dpuf

A mother of three was on Tuesday morning allegedly raped by an officer at his police line home after she went for help over an assault case.

The 28 year old woman, whose name has been withheld, went to Kikuyu police station to fill a P3 form over an assault by a neighbour last month in Kwa Njamba village, Gitaru, leaving her three-month-old baby at home.

She said the officer, claiming to be handling an emergency, asked her to wait until 2pm yet she arrived at the station at 9am.

At 2pm, he reportedly instructed her to follow him to his house “where he claimed to have kept P3 forms.”

The woman said the officer locked her inside his house until 1am when he returned and allegedly raped her several times.

“He undressed me, raped me thrice and threatened that if I argued with him or exposed him I would know he is a police officer,” she said.

She said she left his house at 6am on Wednesday and went to check on her children but found her baby dead.

“I was shocked to find neighbours around my house, only to find my baby dead,” she said.

The circumstances under which the baby died are unclear.

The woman reported the death and the rape at the station but said the rape case was not booked.

“The OCS kicked me out of his office and locked himself inside with the officer,” she said

She said she also does not understand why the OCS directed the officer to take her baby’s body to St Teresa Hospital mortuary in Kikuyu using a private car.

The single mother who is demanding justice has appealed to IGP David Kimaiyo to intervene. She said she had not met the officer before the incident.

Kikuyu OCPD Mutune Maweu said he had “no idea” about the matter.

“I overheard it but it has not officially been brought to my attention. I will get back to you,” he told the Star on Thursday.

A senior police officer at the IG’s office who sought anonymity told the Star on Wednesday that the matter is “disgusting”.

“Kindly let the world know what that lady underwent at a police station,” the source said.

– See more at: http://www.the-star.co.ke/news/police-officer-rapes-woman-5-hours-woman-returns-home-only-find-3-month-old-baby-dead#sthash.pPXqRF6R.dpuf

Tagged

Create awareness on SGBV, Government told

WEDNESDAY, 09 JULY 2014 07:47 MUSA HARON

The Kenyan government has been called upon to create awareness about various Sexual and Gender Based Violations {SGBV} in order to address the injustices caused by the vice. While testifying as an expert in the High Court petition filed by victims of SGBV committed during the 2007 post election violence, Kenya National Commission on Human Rights {KNCHR} secretary Patricia Nyaundi said rape issues are not reported because of societal stigma and poor police response in taking up the cases reported.
Nyaundi told the court, presided by Justice Isaac Lenaola, that the state is obligated to make legislative, administrative and other arrangements so that citizens enjoy their rights without fear.

“To date, the Kenyan government has not acknowledged that sexual gender based violence occurred during the 2007 post election violence. There would be a deliberate effort from the state to address SGBV issues in the context they occur.”

“Petition was filed in 2013 and the reliefs sought haven’t been addressed to date, it’s safe to say that there is a failure by the government,” she said.

Nyaundi warned that the state would have failed in its responsibility if it does not enact laws to protect its citizens calling on the state to have machinery in place to ensure citizen’s rights are not infringed.

“The Bill of Rights constitutes an agreement with the State and the citizens. The petitioners want to know the content of these rights. It is not fair for the state to ask what more would have been done,” she said.

The petition was filed in February 2013 on behalf of eight survivors of SGBV and four NGOs. The petition was filed against multiple government departments for their failure to prevent, investigate and prosecute crimes during the PEV, for failure to provide emergency and ongoing medical services and for failure to provide restitution.

Male PEV sexual abuse victims didn’t testify, says Nyaundi

Men who were sexually abused during the 2007-08 post-election violence did not testify before the Kenya National Human Rights Commission for fear of stigmatisation, a court was told yesterday.

Former Truth Justice and Reconciliation Commission boss Patricia Nyaundi told the court Naivasha registered the highest prevalence of sodomy and forceful circumcision during the 2007-08 violence. The victims did not share their ordeals with commissions that probed the violence.

“My lord, the commission noted that it was harder for men to report sexual abuse because they didn’t have a support system,” Nyaudi said yesterday as she gave her testimony in a case in which sexual violence victims are seeking compensation from government.

She said although women who go through sexual violence can speak about it, something needs to be done for male victims to talk. Nyaundi said the problem stems from the implementation of the Sexual Offences Act.

The case was filed on behalf of the victims by the Coalition on Violence against Women, Independent Medico-Legal Unit, International Commission of Jurists Kenya Chapter and Physicians for Human Rights.

They have sued the Attorney General, the Independent Policing Oversight Authority, Inspector General of Police. The then ministers of Medical Services and Public Health have also been sued. The hearing continues this morning.

– See more at: http://www.the-star.co.ke/news/article-175675/male-pev-sexual-abuse-victims-didnt-testify-says-nyaundi#sthash.kBmcKJRK.dpuf

Waki report to be used in rape suit

Waki report to be used in rape suit

A report by a commission which inquired into the 2007-08 post-election violence has been accepted by a judge as evidence. The evidence will support a case by rape victims seeking compensation from the state.

High Court judge Isaac Lenaola accepted the Waki report as exhibit despite protest from the office of director of public prosecution’s Edwin Okello. Okello had objected to the production of the Waki report saying it is incomplete because more than 200 pages of exhibit such as doctor’s reports are missing.

 

Waki report adopted in sexual violence suit

Waki report adopted in sexual violence suit

A judge on Thursday allowed the Waki report to be part of evidence tabled by survivors who suffered sexual assault during the 2007 post-election violence via Daily Nation

Tagged , , ,

Hearing of PEV Sexual Violence case begins in Court

Hearing of PEV Sexual Violence case begins in Court

Almost six years after the 2007/2008 Post – Election Violence a case filed on behalf of victims of sexual and gender based violence arising from the violence was heard in court on 25th, March 2014.

The case was heard by Justice Isaac Lenaola in the High Court of Kenya at Nairobi.

 

Tagged , , ,

Victims of post-election violence sexual abuse traumatised, court told

Victims of post-election violence sexual abuse traumatised, court told

Former Truth Justice and Reconciliation Commission (TJRC) boss Patricia Nyaundi moved a court when she described how police officers and civilians sexually abused women and men during the Post-Election Violence (PEV) in 2007.

Poll Violence Victims Sue Government

Poll Violence Victims Sue Government

Some 900 victims may have faced sexual attacks during Kenya’s post-election violence in 2007. The perpetrators were never brought to justice. Some victims are now taking the government to court…

Tagged , ,